Monday, February 29, 2016

2015 Reading List


AUGUST 2015

Looking for Alaska by John Green
221 pages

Favorite quotes:

"You shall love your crooked neighbour with your crooked heart." (p.85)

"If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane." (p. 88)

John Green is just a genius. I love that I don't really know what happened to Alaska and that I simply can make my own decision based on options given to me by the story.





           
JULY 2015

The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin

304 pages

Favorite quote:

"But I know that I'm not who I was supposed to be. Who I could have been. And I know it's because I was too afraid for too long." (p. 9-10)


Such an incredible story! This book broke my heart, because I work with kids who actually go through some of these things. I loved it!


The Six Rules of Maybe by Deb Caletti
352 pages

Favorite quote:
"Juliet--
Some decisions are a struggle, a thrashing effort of back and forth, the tormented wakefulness and night sweats and tangles sheets of a bad night's sleep. But other decisions--there's a purity. There's a simplicity and rightness about the decision. It's the simplicity and rightness of air, of snow, of apples. Marrying you, Juliet, was that kind of decision for me. I made it with the straightforward ease of taking a drink of water, closing one's eyes to rest." (p. 172)


This was a pretty interesting book. It's not something I would read again, but interesting enough to keep me going, and to want to know what was going to happen next. 

                      

JUNE 2015 READS:  
Forever by Judy Blume
224 pages.

Favorite quote:
"I wanted to tell him that I will never be sorry for loving him. That in a way I still do - that maybe I always will. I'll never regret one single thing we did together because what we had was very special. Maybe if we were ten years older it would have worked out differently. Maybe. I think it's just that I'm not ready for forever.” (p. 192)

This book is okay. I just find that it is most definitely inappropriate for young children and teenagers. I would say this is a book for adults. That being said, though, it is very realistic to "young love."




MARCH 2015
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
325 pages.
Favorite quotes:"Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat."
"No. I love your name. I don't want to cheat myself out of a single syllable."

I love the ending to this book, because it allows you to make what you want of the story.







Image result for website book divider image


The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

313 Pages.

Favorite quote:

"I am not a mathematician, but I know this: There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity."



Up until now, I only had one favorite fiction-writer. John Green has made it to that top that no one else has made it to. What an amazing read!








No comments:

Post a Comment